Home Latest Australia Driver hospitalised after 350km/h shunt in Indy 500 practice

Driver hospitalised after 350km/h shunt in Indy 500 practice

3
0

Source : ABC NEWS

Alexander Rossi was taken to a hospital for further evaluation after he crashed at around 350 kilometres per hour on Monday’s practice for the Indianapolis 500.

Rossi spun while going through the second turn on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway oval, hitting the outside wall before the car skidded down the track, with the rear end of his car briefly dragging along the top of the wall. 

Pato O’Ward tried to avoid a collision but couldn’t stop in time and hit the side of Rossi’s car, while former F1 driver Romain Grosjean was also collected in the crash.

Loading Twitter content

Rossi appeared unsteady when he first tried to climb into a vehicle that took him to the track’s infield medical care centre.

O’Ward and Grosjean also went to the medical centre, where they were both quickly checked and released. 

Track officials initially announced that Rossi, the 2016 Indianapolis 500 winner, was awake, alert and undergoing evaluation. 

Dr Julia Valzer later said Rossi had been taken to the hospital.

It was the first crash this month on Indy’s oval.

“Just wrong place, wrong time and just got collected there,” O’Ward said before Rossi’s hospitalisation was revealed. 

“These cars don’t stop very well when you’re going at those speeds and with how you run the brakes. Obviously, I just hit the brakes and there wasn’t much I could do to avoid him, so I’m glad Alex is all right and Romain as well.”

Alexander Rossi crashes at the Indy500

Alexander Rossi was collected by Pato O’Ward after he made contact with the wall. (Supplied: IndyCar)

It wasn’t clear whether the crash would impact the 33-car starting grid for this weekend’s sold-out race. 

When asked to confirm if he was OK over the radio, O’Ward simply said, “The car’s not”.

Three of the eight fastest drivers in Sunday’s qualifying — Rossi, O’Ward and Conor Daly — all sustained damage to their cars, as did Grosjean, who qualified 24th.

Less than 24 hours earlier, Rossi came within a whisker of winning his first Indy pole. He was bumped out of the top spot by defending 500 champion Alex Palou of Spain. 

Alexander Rossi crashes as seen from inside the car

Alexander Rossi was groggy after getting out of the car. (Supplied: IndyCar)

Palou’s four-lap average of 232.248 mph (373.767km/h) was ahead of Rossi’s 231.990. The Californian still wound up in the middle of the front row and is set to start from a career-best second.

O’Ward, the Mexican driver with Arrow McLaren, earned the number six starting slot, the outside of row two, while Daly qualified eighth for his season debut with Dreyer & Reinbold Racing. Now all three, plus Grosjean, will spend the next three days repairing cars they have spent months fine-tuning.

“The car was still really good again today in race trim, it felt really comfortable,” Daly said. 

“Unfortunately, we got caught up in the turn two accident in front of us and collected some damage. Hopefully, the [crew] guys can get that all fixed up. I am still quite happy with the car.”

The grid already has changed because two drivers, Caio Collet of A.J. Foyt Enterprises and Jack Harvey, Daly’s teammate, were sent to the back of the field because of rules violations. 

IndyCar officials said they found unapproved changes and unapproved hardware on the drivers’ equipment when they went through post-qualifying technical inspection Sunday evening.

Team Penske’s Josef Newgarden posted the fastest lap in a practice session that was abbreviated first by the crash and then rain, which washed out most of the final hour that cars were scheduled to be on the track. One more short practice will be held on Friday during the annual Carb Day festivities, which include the pit-stop competition.

AP