source : the age
New bus routes to surrounding suburbs and more frequent city services are wanted by public transport passengers in Chermside.
This masthead spoke to commuters as the Brisbane City Council recommitted this week to a promised review of the transport network.
Commuters said while public transport was largely effective in the city’s northside, there was room for improvement, which a review could deliver.
“I would say more buses are probably needed in the outer suburbs around Nundah and places like that, and probably even more services here at Chermside to the CBD,” said Matilda, who frequently used the 333, 340 and 330 services.
“There’s basically nothing after 9 o’clock at night and if people want to go into the city … it’s very limited and they’re just not frequent.”
Fellow commuters John and Sara echoed the concerns about access to nearby suburbs, while another passenger, Sonia, agreed more buses into the city would be beneficial.
All stressed the importance of expanding Metro services.
“It works pretty well … it can be a bit of a hassle, but that’s life,” said another commuter, Robin.
“Of course some buses are going to be late, that’s just the council for you.”
A northside bus review was announced in July 2024 as part of a multimillion-dollar funding agreement with the state government.
That evaluation would have explored where improved services were needed, as a southside review had done.
LNP councillor Steve Toomey suggested on Tuesday the promised review was no longer being done after a new government agreement was signed, but he later clarified an equivalent review would be done, alongside future Metro expansion.
“The existing agreement doesn’t include a deadline for a review, however, a review will be undertaken,” Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner said.
“We also continue to undertake ongoing analysis and improvements of the bus network in collaboration with the state government.”
The Labor opposition questioned if this review would be completed before the 2032 Olympic Games.
“How can the lord mayor of Brisbane sit in the back of a chauffeur-driven car and think congestion will sort itself out?” leader Jared Cassidy said.
“Where is his leadership? Why isn’t he bashing down the door of the state government?”
Brisbane City Council rolled out its New Bus Network in June.
Most trips have become quicker or been unchanged, but about 15 per cent are slower than previously.
Several groups have complained about increased travel times and longer walks to bus stops – though the highest-profile cases have been on the southside.
Karen Smith, who relied on the 175 service to reach the Mater Hospital for cancer treatment at the time, found she required an additional bus change mid-journey.
“What if you don’t meet up with the [second] bus … you could miss your appointment,” she said.
“I’m going through treatment and my balance is not good, so having to get off and on is not going to be good.”
In January a group of residents in Acacia Ridge raised concerns about a “ghost stop” on Gregory Street, where buses no longer stopped.
“No one takes it seriously because we’re regarded as a low-income area,” Sandra said at the time.
“It’s like [they think] rejects live out here or misfits, and I feel that we’re personally being discriminated against because of our postcode, because we’re a lower-class people.”
Start the day with a summary of the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up for our Morning Edition newsletter.