Home Latest Australia Man charged with hate crime after Brisbane Synagogue targeted in alleged ramming...

Man charged with hate crime after Brisbane Synagogue targeted in alleged ramming incident

9
0

Source : Perth Now news

CCTV of a man allegedly ramming his ute into the gates of a Brisbane Synagogue has been released by police.

A 32-year-old Sunnybank man has been charged with a hate crime after a Brisbane synagogue was allegedly targeted in a ramming incident.

Police alleged the Brisbane Synagogue on Margaret Street was rammed by a Toyota HiLux ute shortly after 7pm on Friday.

The gates were knocked down before the car left the scene, a Queensland Police spokesman said.

Vision of the incident shows the driver narrowly avoid hitting a person who was standing behind the gates as they were rammed.

Camera IconThe Brisbane Synagogue on Margaret St was allegedly rammed by a ute on Friday night. NewsWire/ Steve Pohlner Credit: News Corp Australia

The ute allegedly used in the attack was found soon after and a Sunnybank man was charged with wilful damage serious vilification or hate crime, dangerous operation of a vehicle, possession dangerous drugs and possess utensils or pipes etc for use.

He is due to front a Queensland court on Saturday.

Police believe the man acted alone.

The gates of the synagogue were knocked down in the alleged incident. Picture: NewsWire/ Steve Pohlner
Camera IconThe gates of the synagogue were knocked down in the alleged incident. NewsWire/ Steve Pohlner Credit: News Corp Australia
Police believe the man acted alone. Picture: NewsWire/ Steve Pohlner
Camera IconPolice believe the man acted alone. NewsWire/ Steve Pohlner Credit: News Corp Australia

“Investigations continue, however, it is believed the man acted alone and there is no ongoing threat to the community,” the Queensland police spokesman said.

Queensland Jewish Board of Deputies Vice President Libby Burke said it was deeply distressing that a place of worship was targeted.

Queensland Jewish Board of Deputies Vice President Libby Burke said it was deeply distressing to see a place of worship targeted in the incident. Picture: Qld Police
Camera IconQueensland Jewish Board of Deputies Vice President Libby Burke said it was deeply distressing to see a place of worship targeted in the incident. Qld Police Credit: Supplied Source Known

“To see the synagogue’s gates viciously rammed was profoundly devastating,” she said.

“This attack is not only an attack on my community, it is an attack on all of us,” she alleged.

“This attack could have easily resulted in serious injury or worse.”

Ms Burke said since October 7, 2023, there had been a meteoric rise in antisemitism across Australia and Queensland.

“Words matter, hateful slogans and symbols create the environment in which violence becomes possible.

“This is precisely why we need strong legislation to criminalise acts of hate that are directly targeting Jewish Queenslanders, our elderly, our children,

“There must be clear consequences for those who seek to intimidate, to threaten or harm our community.”

Polair tracked the alleged offender and arrested a 32-year-old Sunnybank man shortly after the incident. Picture: NewsWire/ Steve Pohlner
Camera IconPolair tracked the alleged offender and arrested a 32-year-old Sunnybank man shortly after the incident. NewsWire/ Steve Pohlner Credit: News Corp Australia

North Brisbane District Acting Superintendent Michael Hogan said Polair began tracking the alleged offender who owned the vehicle used in the ram soon after the incident.

He said police were able to quickly arrest the alleged offender who will appear in court on Saturday.

“Specialist counter terrorism of officers have been involved in the investigation from the very start, and I can confirm this is not considered a terrorist incident,” he said.

“Police are considering the man’s mental health and intoxication as being contributing factors.”

Mr Hogan said while it was a clear attack on a place of worship, circumstances of aggravation were applied which increased the severity of the charges.

“There was definitely a targeted attack against the Jewish synagogue,” he said.

“No one was injured, including the person that was present during the CCTV and the actual suspects of this matter as well.

“The video surveillance (shows) it’s very clear that (the driver) intended to do some damage to the gates.

“There’s certainly no indication … we’re not saying that he attempted to enter the synagogue at all.”

Queensland Premier David Crisafulli earlier said a car allegedly rammed the front gates of a synagogue overnight on Friday in a post on social media.

“This will be very distressing for the Jewish community in Queensland,” Mr Crisafulli said on X.

“I have spoken to Jewish leaders, as well as police, and I want to assure Queenslanders we are taking this seriously.

“This is another signal as to why we have put strong laws before parliament to protect all people where they worship.

“We are going through the process and I fully intend to have them passed during the next sitting of parliament.”

More to come …