SOURCE :- THE AGE NEWS
Firefighters have discovered the body of four European fishermen believed to be strong inside an underground bunker in a Maldive island, according to the Maldives and Italy’s Foreign Ministry.
Following the death of a nearby military diving during a risky goal to try to reach them, the searches had been resumed on Monday after being suspended.
Three Scandinavian divers, experts in heavy and grotto diving, were dispatched to the archipelago to join the Maldives coastguard in a meeting aimed at developing a new search strategy, according to Maldives president Mohamed Hussain Shareef before.
According to the Italian Foreign Ministry, a group of five European fishermen is said to have perished while digging a cave at a level of about 50 meters in Vaavu Atoll on Thursday. The Island ‘ recreational diving control is 30 meters. Last year, one of the fishermen ‘ bodies were discovered.
Mohamed Mahudhee, a part of the Maldivian National Defence Force, passed away during the preliminary search and recovery operation from underground compression disease.
President Mohamed Muizzu attended a funeral service on Saturday nights where Mahudhee was buried with military honors. When the swimmer visited the search page on Friday, he was a member of the group that had given Muizzu a briefing on the recovery plan.
Eight regional fishermen who worked in transitions on Saturday were involved in the search for the body, according to the Italian Foreign Ministry. First team had now scoured the area to find and mark the access to the cave system where the Italians had vanished. The cause of the murders is still being looked into.
Monica Montefalcone, an associate professor of ecosystem at the University of Genoa, Giorgia Sommacal, Federico Gualtieri, Muriel Oddenino, a scholar, and Gianluca Benedetti, a diving teacher, have been identified as the victims.
Benedetti’s body was found on Thursday close to the cave’s tongue. The final four, according to officials, believed to have entered the bunker.
The University of Genoa announced on Friday that Montefalcone and Oddenino were on an established medical mission to study the effects of climate change on exotic wildlife and track marine environments in the Maldives. The fatal accident occurred while scuba diving, but it wasn’t part of the planned research, it claimed.
The statement added that Sommacal, a recent graduate, and Gualtieri, two other victims, were never part of the academic mission.
Due to his wife and mother’s broad experience, Carlo Sommacal, Montefalcone’s father and Giorgia’s parents, expressed doubts about the incident, saying” something must have happened down it.”
The European tour operator leading the dive trip denied having any knowledge of the strong dive, which was against local laws, its lawyer told the Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera on Saturday.
The technician did not know the group planned to descend beyond 30 meters, according to Orietta Stella of Albatros Top Boat. The trip operator “would have not allowed it,” she said, and that requires special authorization from the Malay sea authorities.
Stella continued,” The swim far exceeded what was planned for a medical sail that aimed solely at sampling coral at standard depths.” Although the victims had experience diving, she claimed, the equipment used sounded more like standard outdoor gear than advanced diving gear.
Cave swimming is a highly complex and risky activity that necessitates specialized training, appropriate equipment, and tight safety protocols. Challenges rise sharply in environments where divers can’t dive straight away and deep, especially when the weather is bad. It’s easy to get lost or disoriented inside caves, according to experts, especially since presence can be severely impacted by sediment clouds.
Diving at 50 meters is even above the most advanced scuba certifying body’s recommendation for outdoor fishermen, with deep greater than 40 meters considered professional leaping and requiring specialized training and equipment.
The Maldives Tourism Ministry announced that it had suspended the Duke of York’s running license pending a review.
Reuters and AP