source : the age
The family of a mother stabbed to death in her bed say they are terrified at the prospect of her teen killer being granted day leave from a mental health facility.
The boy and his best mate, who were 14 and 15 at the time, killed the older boy’s mother so they could steal her car with a plan to run away and create a child army.
The victim’s son pleaded guilty to murder and was jailed for at least 10 years. But his younger friend, who has autism and ADHD, was found not guilty because of mental impairment.
On Friday, the Supreme Court heard preparations were under way to move him to a psychiatric facility when he turns 18.
There, day release back in the community, supervised or unsupervised, can then be granted by a court.
The victim’s sister stood shaking as she told the judge her family remain haunted by what occurred in April 2023 and opposed any move towards the killer’s freedom.
She said the teenager had been welcomed into her sister’s home, where he was cared for and treated with kindness and respect, before the 41-year-old was bludgeoned with a cricket bat and stabbed multiple times.
“I’m terrified at the thought of [the teenager] being in the community in any capacity now, or any time in the future. We’re anxious, frightened, at the prospect of this ever occurring,” she said.
“This was not a momentary loss of control. It was a planned and abhorrent attack on a woman who was unarmed, unsuspecting, and inside her own home.
“The blunt force trauma included a cricket bat combined with a horrific number of stab wounds. The fact she was left for dead… demonstrates a profound lack of empathy; a dangerous disposition.”
The sister also took aim at the boy’s parents, saying they had been “unwilling or unable” to provide the boy support and act when clear flags of his mental health issues emerged.
“[He] had the ability to contribute to the planning of these events, articulating disturbing desires to harm others … and yet appeared non-threatening externally, demonstrating his capacity to mask his intent,” she said.
“[Him] being found not guilty by way of mental impairment and not fully held accountable has been deeply challenging for all who loved [the victim].”
The victim’s mother spoke through tears, saying the boy’s lack of adequate family support had left her questioning whether her daughter might still be alive today if earlier interventions had taken place.
“I fear for the unsuspecting public, the people who show him kindness. The danger is real,” she said.
The court earlier heard the two school friends formed a delusional plan to create a paramilitary anti-communist army to restore Australia’s Christian values and fulfil a prophecy they’d received from God. They planned to kill the woman, take her car and drive to Halls Gap where they planned to blow up a bridge and bring in recruits.
The plans were shared with other classmates, codenamed Operation Continuity, and they packed bags with military gear and ration packs.
Police were alerted to the killing when the victim’s youngest child was woken by his mother’s screams and ran to a nearby police station.
Supreme Court Justice James Elliott will continue to hear the matter in June.
Start the day with a summary of the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up for our Morning Edition newsletter.