Home Sports Australia Kyneton women’s team wins right to play as league official resigns after...

Kyneton women’s team wins right to play as league official resigns after vulgar social media posts

6
0

Source :- THE AGE NEWS

By Hannah Kennelly
Updated February 17, 2026 — 3.06pm

The Kyneton Women’s Football Club has the all clear to play in a country competition in 2026 as the vice-president of a league at the centre of a bitter dispute with the club resigned on Tuesday following a series of vulgar comments on social media.

Andrew Power resigned from the Riddell District Football Netball League board on Monday after The Age sent the league a series of questions about comments Power had left on the Instagram page of the women’s club that has been fighting for the right to play.

Power’s resignation came hours before the Kyneton Women’s Football Club confirmed exclusively to this masthead that they had been accepted into the Central Victorian League, after 12 months in limbo and extensive negotiations with the AFL.

Kyneton Women’s football team are one step closer to playing in the 2026 season.Credit: Joe Armao

The Age has seen screenshots of Power’s now hidden Instagram comments, which include vulgar comments and jokes about being bisexual.

The Kyneton women’s team has several queer, non-binary and First Nations players, and includes players with disabilities.

This masthead spoke with Power on Tuesday morning, when he confirmed he had resigned from the RDFNL board.

“I have resigned from the RDFL board for personal reasons, nothing to do with anything that is happening on social media, or a decision by AFL Victoria, or any decision that has anything to do with Kyneton Women’s Football Club. That is not why I resigned, but yes, I’ve stood down.”

Power confirmed he did post the comments on Instagram.

This masthead has seen screenshots of Power’s comments in an email to the AFL integrity unit on February 7.

The AFL declined to comment.

The Riddell league said in a statement on Tuesday that it had been made aware of the comments on Power’s social media account.

“The RDFNL had no prior knowledge of these comments. Following a brief review, Andrew Power and the RDFNL mutually agreed that his personal views are not aligned with the values of the league, its board, and staff,” the statement said.

“Andrew has resigned from his position as vice president effective immediately.

“We thank him for his service over many seasons and wish him well for the future.

“The RDFNL does not condone or support the behaviour reflected in those comments and apologises for any distress caused to members of our community.”

Power’s resignation follows a 12-month dispute between the Kyneton women’s team and the RDFNL. The women’s side defected from Kyneton Football Netball Club last year after claims over inequitable treatment and disrespectful conditions, and have been battling to find a new home.

Kyneton Women’s Football Club

Kyneton Women’s Football ClubCredit: Joe Armao

Kyneton accepted into Central Football League

On Tuesday, president Natalie Korinfsky confirmed to this masthead that after negotiations with the AFL, the team’s application to join the Central Victorian Football league for the 2026 season was approved, on the proviso they drop “Kyneton” from their name, not use the Kyneton Showgrounds and play as the Wedge-Tailed Eagles.

While “not a perfect solution”, Korinfsky said she felt incredibly relieved.

Kyneton representatives met with AFL executives on February 9 to discuss alternative options for the team to play in a league after their application to join the CVFL was blocked by Riddell District – an appeal that was upheld by AFL Victoria.

The AFL gave the women’s team two options: play in the Central league (provided they drop the name) or get an AFL affiliation where they would play CFVL teams in scratch matches but not score premiership points.

Korinfsky said players voted for the first option and their application to the CVFL was officially approved on Tuesday.

“Even though what we’re going through is incredibly difficult and truthfully quite distressing at times, to get these amazing people and organisations just throwing their support behind us just tells us that we were doing the right thing,” Korinfsky said.

“We’re doing it for our playing group and for our club, we’re also doing it for women, girls and gender diverse people everywhere in our country, to say, ‘there’s a space for you in sport, and you deserve to be there’.

“You deserve to be feel safe and respected.”

In a statement posted on Monday, RDFNL said they would not be appealing Kyneton’s re-submitted application to the central Victoria Football League.

“While the past 15 months have been challenging, the RDFNL respects the outcome and sincerely hopes the newly established Wedge-Tailed Eagles Football Club, the Central Victorian Football League, and the RDFNL each enjoy successful seasons ahead,” the league said in a statement.

AFL integrity unit investigates after comments from country president

In a separate incident, on December 21, Instagram media page Not All Clubs posted an alleged comment by RDFNL president Brenton Knott in a private message to a supporter, later leaked to media, saying the situation was “not about footy, it’s about grooming and gender weirdness”.

The league has since said the message was a “falsified, photoshopped and doctored image”.

The comment was allegedly sent in response to a post discussing Kyenton’s application to join the Central Victorian Football League.

“You need to look at the other side. They don’t deserve anything – you’re advocating that any team that’s not happy breaks away,” said the alleged message, which has been seen by The Age.

“How is that manageable by the AFL? If you look at the principals [sic] in this – it’s not about footy, it’s about grooming and gender weirdness.

“You follow local footy so you need to see AFL Vic and RDFNL aren’t the bad ones here.”

On February 6, the RDFNL published a statement on its website and said Knott’s alleged comments were a “falsified, photoshopped and doctored image”. The AFL integrity unit has not announced an outcome of the investigation; the AFL was contacted for comment.

“The RDFNL and Brenton were not able to come out and deny these claims publicly during this time but can now confirm that these claims to be completely false and fake,” the organisation said.

“Brenton and the RDFNL can now begin the legal process of proceeding with defamation cases against those parties responsible for publishing these doctored images …”

The Age contacted Knott, who declined to comment.

Keep up to date with the best AFL coverage in the country. Sign up for the Real Footy newsletter.