Home Latest Australia Family of ‘baby Luka’ welcome little sister 17 months after coffee attack...

Family of ‘baby Luka’ welcome little sister 17 months after coffee attack ordeal

6
0

Source : Perth Now news

The family of baby Luka, a young boy who was seriously injured in a hot coffee attack, have welcomed a “beautiful baby girl” to their growing family.

Mother Erna Burgic said their daughter Isla arrived two weeks early last Wednesday and they had been blessed with a “wonderful healing birth”.

“Something I am incredibly grateful for,” she shared on social media.

“Her big brother and sister are obsessed and we are completely in love.”

Camera IconLuka welcomes a little sister 17 months after he was seriously injured Supplied Credit: Supplied Source Known
The baby girl arrived two weeks early last Wednesday. Picture: Supplied
Camera IconThe baby girl arrived two weeks early last Wednesday. Supplied Credit: Supplied Source Known

Luka was nine months old when he was doused with hot coffee by an unknown man at a Brisbane park in August 2024.

He sustained serious injuries in the attack, requiring months of treatment and recovery.

Ms Burgic had taken him to a playground to meet with a friend when the man approached them and poured a Thermos of hot coffee over the baby.

Police identified a 33-year-old Chinese national as the suspect and allege he drove to Sydney after the attack and boarded a flight out of the country on August 31, 2024.

Little baby Luka was seriously injured in the attack by a man that police allege fled to China.
Camera IconLittle baby Luka was seriously injured in the attack by a man that police allege fled to China. Credit: News Corp Australia

He is believed to be in China and is protected from extradition by Chinese law.

The suspect was identified once he fled the country and is yet to be charged.

Speaking at a press conference in Canberra in late January, Chinese ambassador Xiao Qian said China was taking the matter seriously.

Chinese authorities arrived in Brisbane last week as investigations continued.

Chinese authorities have landed in Australia as efforts to locate a man who poured hot coffee on a baby at a Brisbane park in 2024. Picture: Qld Police
Camera IconChinese authorities have landed in Australia as efforts to locate a man who poured hot coffee on a baby at a Brisbane park in 2024. Qld Police Credit: Supplied Source Known

Queensland Police and Australian Federal Police said Chinese authorities shared their commitment to pursue all avenues for justice in light of the alleged offender’s location.

The group walked through Hanlon Park at Stones Corner where the attack occurred.

Luka’s family said they were “aware of the delegation’s visit” and met with them during their visit to Queensland.

“We continue to thank the public and media for their ongoing support,” they said.