Home National Australia Elderly kidnapped man probably alive as ‘distressing’ hostage videos emerge

Elderly kidnapped man probably alive as ‘distressing’ hostage videos emerge

5
0

source : the age

Police believe an elderly widower snatched from his home in a suspected case of mistaken identity is still alive and have pleaded with his kidnappers to release him as “distressing” images of the grandfather’s injuries circulate within Sydney’s underworld.

Chris Baghsarian, 85, was abducted from the bedroom of his North Ryde property about 5am on Friday, prompting police to issue a direct plea to the abductors, who they believe kidnapped the wrong person.

Police found signs of forced entry to the home, and are investigating whether the intended target was a figure linked to the Alameddine organised crime network living nearby.

CCTV footage shows two men, one in a high-vis shirt and the other in a dark hoodie, exiting a dark SUV and striding towards Baghsarian’s property, triggering the sensor light at the front of the property. They then appear to force the elderly man out of the home while the getaway driver moves closer to the rest of the crew. Police believe three men attended Baghsarian’s home, but suspect more could have been involved in his kidnapping.

Police are asking for help to find 85-year-old Chris Baghsarian, who was kidnapped from his North Ryde home on Friday.NSW Police

Neighbours called police after hearing a commotion at Baghsarian’s property on Friday morning. One witness, Felix Cho, told Nine News that he heard “screaming that just kept going” as glass was smashed and dogs barked before the vehicle drove down the street.

Video has since emerged of an injured Baghsarian at an unknown location.

Baghsarian is pictured in the video in the grey tracksuit pants and flannelette shirt he was wearing when abducted.

Several images of Baghsarian’s severe injuries have been circulated within Sydney’s criminal underworld. Detectives are investigating the video and images and working to determine their legitimacy.

A vehicle matching the description of the getaway car was found burnt-out in South Turramurra shortly after the abduction. Police have not yet identified the location Baghsarian was being held, but believe he is still alive.

Detective Acting Superintendent Andrew Marks, the acting commander of the robbery and serious crime squad, said neither Baghsarian nor his family were involved in organised crime.

“Mr Baghsarian, Mr Baghsarian’s family, are not involved in any criminal world,” Marks said.

“The family are in distress. All they want is their father to be returned, their grandfather to be returned. And what I can say, is that I’m a million per cent confident that they have the wrong person.”

Concern for Baghsarian’s welfare has intensified following the release of the video as the 85-year-old enters his fourth day as a hostage.

“It’s not ideal that those images are out there,” Marks said.

The North Ryde home where Baghsarian was abducted on Friday morning. Sitthixay Ditthavong

Marks said it was “distressing to see an 85-year-old man in that position”.

Marks did not comment on whom the intended target may have been, or if they had known connections to organised crime.

“It’s not an instance where they randomly take people for the sake of it. They were intending to take somebody, but have taken the wrong person. They have kidnapped the wrong person,” Marks said.

Cases of mistaken identity have become increasingly common in Sydney’s underworld as contractors are hired to carry out crimes on behalf of larger organised crime networks.

Last May, Condell Park plumber John Versace was shot dead in the driveway of his family home in what police believe was a case of mistaken identity. The 23-year-old had no criminal record or links to organised crime.

Baghsarian requires daily medication and medical treatment. No ransom had been demanded by Baghsarian’s kidnappers, nor had his family received any communications from them, Marks said.

Baghsarian lived alone.

“The fact that these offenders – these kidnappers – have got it so wrong is concerning,” Marks said.

Premier Chris Minns pleaded for the kidnappers to return Baghsarian on Monday morning, suggesting they could drop the man at a shopping centre, emergency department or nursing home if they didn’t wish to reveal their location.

“The family is obviously distraught, and the message from police and the government is very sincere and very direct, and that is the people who have done this have got the wrong person, police are incredibly confident in that – it’s not too late to end this situation,” Minns said.

“This is a distressing situation. We want to reunite Mr Baghsarian with his family, and we’re asking whoever is responsible for this to do it as an act of humanity today.”

Marks appealed for anyone who had seen people coming and going from a neighbouring unoccupied home or on the street Baghsarian lived on in the days before the kidnapping, to contact police.

“Every hour is very important,” Marks said.

“We need him returned now.”

Be the first to know when major news happens. Sign up for breaking news alerts on email or turn on notifications in the app.

Daniel Lo SurdoDaniel Lo Surdo is a breaking news reporter for The Sydney Morning Herald. He previously helmed the national news live blog for The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age.Connect via email.